(adapted from Spice by Ana Sortun)
3 lbs cloud nine eggplant (or any fresh eggplant)
1/4 cup salt
1 cup milk
1 onion (outer layer only, peeled)
2 cloves garlic, peeled
1 bay leaf
7 Tbs butter
1/2 cup flour
1/8 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
1/2 tsp sumac
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/2 cup grated asiago cheese
1/2 cup fresh dill, chopped
4 eggs, separated
- Peel eggplants with vegetable peeler and cube.
- Boil large sauce pan of water and add salt. Add eggplant and reduce heat to medium high. Cook until eggplant is soft. Drain.
- Puree in food processor until smooth. Add pepper. Measure 2 1/2 cups of puree and set aside.
- Bring milk, onion, garlic and bay leaf to a boil over medium high heat. Remove from heat and steep 10 minutes, then remove onion, garlic and bay leaf.
- Melt 4 T butter over medium high until it starts to foam, then whisk in 1/4 C flour. Whish until mixture is golden brown, then add hot milk and whisk until thick and doughy. Add nutmeg and sumac.
- Add cheese, dill and egg yolks. Add eggplant puree.
- Heat oven to 400.
- Beat egg white to stiff peaks, then fold into the eggplant mixture.
- Butter and flour eight 6-oz ramekins and fill each 3/4 to top with eggplant mixture.
- Bake until golden brown and tall, about 20 minutes.
- Dust with more sumac, and serve with greek yogurt and warm pita bread.
Cheers, The Foodbuzz Editorial Team