Eggplant, Black Bean and Cotija Tostados with Spicy Tomatillo Jalapeno Salsa
(makes enough for 4-6 depending on how much you load the tostadas)
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1/4 cup cilantro (or what you pick from the garden), chopped
2 cans black beans (30 oz total), drained and rinsed
3/4 tsp salt
1 lb eggplant, sliced thinly
2 avocado, chopped
1 pkg corn tortillas
1 cup cotija cheese, grated
1 cup cherry tomatoes
Spicy Tomatillo Jalapeno Salsa
vegetable oil, olive oil
- Combine beans with 2 cups water and bring to a simmer uncovered. Cook about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Drain beans but RESERVE LIQUID.
- Puree beans, 1/4 cup of cooking liquid, and garlic until smooth
- Heat some olive oil in a pan over medium heat and fry eggplant until golden brown. Flip and repeat. Remove from pan to paper towels to dry.
- Heat 3 Tbs vegetable oil over moderate heat, then add beans and cook until very thick, about 5 minutes. Add salt and remove from stove. You may have extra beans (we did). If so, refrigerate and use later. If beans get too thick to spread, just add some more of the reserved cooking liquid.
- Heat tortillas in vegetable oil over moderate heat until golden brown. Flip over and repeat.
- Assemble tostadas: spread beans over bottom, then salsa, then eggplant slices, avocado, and tomatoes. Top with cheese and sprinkle with cilantro.