Grilled Eggplant, Haloumi and Arugula Sandwich with Yogurt Tahini Sauce
serves 2 (barely)
1/2 pound Cloud Nine or Asian eggplant, sliced thinly
4 oz Haloumi cheese, sliced
1 cucumber, cut into strips
12 cherry tomatoes (more or less)
1/2 cup arugula (more or less -- ours is VERY strong)
1 cup thick Greek yogurt
3 Tbs tahini
1/2 garlic clove, minced
- Prepare sauce: combine yogurt, tahini and minced garlic. Mix well.
- Saute eggplant in olive oil over medium heat until golden brown. Flip and repeat. Remove to paper towels to dry.
- In same pan, add 1 Tb butter and melt. Add more olive oil if needed. Grill slices of sourdough until golden and crusty. Flip and repeat. Remove and set aside.
- In same pan (add more butter and olive oil if needed), saute haloumi until melted and brown. Flip and repeat.
- Assemble sandwiches: generously spread yogurt tahini sauce on both sides of bread. Add eggplant, then haloumi, then tomatoes, cucumbers and arugula.