Yangshuo-Style Eggplant and Tofu
serves 2 as an entree
1/2 lb Japanese eggplant
2 Tbs vegetable oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tsp fresh ginger, minced
1/2 tsp chile paste
1.2 tsp fermented black beans (see picture above)
1/3 cup water
1 Tbs vegetarian stir-fry sauce (see picture above)
1 Tbs soy sauce
2 scallions, white and green parts cut into 3" pieces
8 oz extra-firm tofu
1 cup sushi rice
- Wrap tofu in paper towels and place between two plates for about ten minutes to drain excess liquid. Discard paper towels, cut tofu into 1" cubes.
- Cook rice.
- Cut eggplant into thin slices .
- Heat wok over high until it smokes. Add oil and swirl around pan. Immediately add eggplant and fry until softened and browned, about 2 minutes. Add garlic and ginger and continue to fry until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add chile paste and black beans and cook about 30 seconds, then add water, vegetarian stir-fry sauce, soy sauce and tofu. Cook until eggplant and tofu are coated with a thickened sauce, about 2 minutes. Add scallions and cook briefly (about 30 seconds).
- Serve immediately over cooked rice.