Anellino di Trento beans, with their unusually solid texture and distinct flavor, combine perfectly with roasted cauliflower to create an extremely hearty dish. The vegetables are filling (and vegan) even without the yogurt sauce, but the sauce adds a nice zing thanks to fresh cilantro and spicy garlic. These flavors play off the toasted Madras curry which seasons the vegetables to perfection. If you are not growing Anellino di Trento beans, any green beans or even yardlong beans will work well in this recipe. Be sure to select beans that are firm, not wrinkled or starting to dry out, with a bright color that indicates they are still fresh and full of flavor.
Curried Green Beans and Roasted Cauliflower with Cilantro Yogurt Sauce
Cilantro Yogurt Sauce
1 cup non-fat Greek-style plain yogurt such as Fage
1 Tbs fresh lemon juice
1/2 cup cilantro, choped
1 garlic clove, minced
Curried Green Beans and Roasted Cauliflower
1 large cauliflower head, cut into 1" florets
1 red onion, thinly sliced
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 lb green beans, cut into 2" pieces
1 Tbs vegetable oil
2 slices white sandwich bread, cubed
1 tsp Madras curry powder
sea salt and black pepper
Cilantro Yogurt Sauce
- Combine all ingredients. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Heat oven to 425°. Combine cauliflower and onion with 3 Tbs olive oil. Season with sea salt and black pepper, then spread in a single layer on a sheet pan.
- In same bowl, toss the beans with 1 Tbs olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Spread beans on another sheet pan.
- Place both sheet pans in oven and roast until tender and lightly browned, stirring occasionally. The beans will cook faster, about 14 minutes, than the cauliflower, about 18 minutes. Remove from oven and combine.
- While vegetables are in the oven, heat 1 Tbs vegetable oil over low heat and saute bread cubes until golden and crispy, about 4 minutes. Remove from pan to cool.
- In the same pan, toast the curry power over moderate heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Scrape out of the pan and toss with the cooked vegetables until well coated. Season the mixture with salt and pepper.
- Serve vegetables while still warm, topped with the bread cubes and yogurt cilantro sauce on the side.