This cake is made with both applesauce and diced Granny Smith apples. We used a chunky applesauce, but feel free to experiment with your favorite style. The cake is wonderfully moist and aromatic, and makes a nice afternoon snack with a cup of creamed tea, or a tasty evening dessert.
Double Apple Bundt Cake
1 cup butter, room temp
2 cups sugar
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
2 tsp lemon zest
3 cups unbleached A.P. flour
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp allspice
1/4 tsp ginger
1 1/2 cup homestyle applesauce with cinnamon and brown sugar
2 granny smith apples, peeled and diced
- Preheat oven to 300° convection (350° conventional), place shelf in middle of oven.
- Butter and flour bundt pan.
- Combine dry and set aside.
- Cream butter and sugar. Add eggs one at a time, mixing well and scraping bowl each time.
- Add lemon zest and vanilla and combine well.
- Alternate between adding dry and apple sauce, starting and finishing with dry.
- Fold in diced apples, then fill bundt pan.
- Bake until done through to center and cake is golden brown, 80 minutes in our oven.
- Cool on rack completely, then remove from pan. Serve at room temperature.