Baked Black and White Eggplant with Tomatoes, Basil and Goat Cheese
1 lb eggplant, half Cloud Nine and half Black Beauty
1 lb red tomatoes
9 oz goat cheese
1/4 cup fresh basil leaves
1 garlic clove, minced
1/3 cup pureed tomatoes
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
sea salt and black pepper to taste
- Slice eggplants and saute in olive oil over medium until golden brown. Flip and repeat. Remove to paper towels to dry.
- Slice tomatoes thinly. Slice goat cheese from the log thinly (use very cold cheese).
- On a sheet pan, layer eggplant, goat cheese, basil and tomato. Add a few pinches of pepper. Start next layer with opposite color eggplant and repeat. Finish with eggplant slices as the top layer. Drizzle a little olive oil on top.
- Heat convection oven to 300 (325 conventional). Bake until goat cheese is soft and oozing a bit.
- While eggplant is in oven, make sauce by combining garlic, balsamic vinegar, pureed tomatoes, and 3/4 cup olive oil in a food processor until well combined and thick. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- When layered eggplant is done, remove from oven and serve with balsamic vinegar-tomato puree.