Turkish Chickpea and Lentil Pilaf
adapted from The Sultan's Kitchen by Ozcan Ozan
1/4 cup dried green lentils
1/2 cup chickpeas
4 Tbs olive oil
3 yellow onions, diced
2 tsp sugar
1 Tbs lemon juice
1/2 cup sushi rice
1/4 cup orzo
2 tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
1 Tbs cumin
1 tsp ground red pepper
2 cups vegetable broth
1/4 cup chopped Italian parsley
- Combine lentils with 2/3 cup water and cook until tender, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Saute onions with sugar in olive oil over low heat, covered, until tender. Uncover and add lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste. Increase heat to high and cook until onions are browned.
- Add rice and orzo and cook about 2 minutes.
- Add lentils, chickpeas, cumin, red pepper and stock. Reduce heat to low and cover. Cook about 20 minutes, until all the liquid is absorbed.
- Remove from heat, add parsley, and let stand covered about 5 minutes.
- Serve with thick Greek yogurt on the side.