This dish is time-consuming, but well worth the effort. It is inspired by a Diane Kochilas recipe, but we adapted it to use our eggplants, basil and tomatoes. A delicious weekend project.
Eggplant Compote with Yellow Split Peas
1 lb yellow split peas, rinsed and drained
6 cups water
2 cups red onion, chopped
2/3 cup olive oil
1 bay leaf
2 tsp sea salt
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1 lb eggplant, sliced
1 1/4 tsp sea salt
2 cups tomatoes, peeled and diced
6 Tbs olive oil
2 yellow onions, diced
1 tsp honey
2 Tbs fresh basil, chopped
1/4 tsp black pepper
2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- Cook onions in 1/3 cup olive oil until soft. Add split peas and mix well, then add water and bay leaf.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce to simmer and cook, partially covered, until peas have broken down, about 1 hour.
- Add salt and continue to cook, stirring frequently, until peas are thick and creamy.
- Discard bay leaf, add lemon juice and 1/3 cup olive oil, then cover and set aside to thicken.
- Heat 3 Tbs olive oil over medium and saute eggplant until golden. Flip and repeat. Remove to paper towels to drain.
- In same pan, add 3 more Tbs olive oil and saute onions over low until soft and golden, about 20 minutes. Add garlic and cook a few more minutes. Add honey, then eggplant, tomatoes, basil, pepper and salt. Simmer gently.
- Add vinegar at the end, then remove from heat.
- Serve warm compote on top of warm split peas.