Red Lentil, Bulgur and Mint soup did in fact make it to the Be-Wiched Express menu this week. And, the red lentil soup was such a perfect dinner that we decided to make another soup at home this week. The recipe was inspired by a Turkish split pea soup, but we transformed the original into a thick vegetarian stew with green split peas, orzo and yogurt. A delicious and filling dinner, with enough leftover for a second night.
Green Split Pea, Orzo and Yogurt Stew
1 Tbs olive oil
1 Tbs butter
1 yellow onion, diced
1 1/2 cup dried green split peas
6 cups vegetable stock
1/4 cup cornstarch
1 Tbs dried mint
3 Tbs heavy cream
1 cup orzo
1 cup thick Greek yogurt
salt and pepper to taste
- Melt butter and oil together in large sauce pan over meidum. Add onion and saute until soft. Add split peas and stock, bring to boil, then reduce to simmer and cover. Cook until split peas are soft and broken down, about 1 hour.
- Puree until smooth.
- Cook orzo, drain and set aside.
- Combine cornstarch and 1/4 cup cold water until smooth. Add to soup, then bring soup to a boil, stirring constantly. Reduce to a simmer, add mint, season with salt and pepper. Add orzo and simmer until soup is thick.
- Remove from heat and add heavy cream.
- Serve with 1/4 cup dollop of yogurt in each bowl.