based on Mary Bsisu's recipe in The Arab Table
2 cups brown lentils
1 lb onions, diced
1 cup olive oil
1/3 cup short-grain white rice,
rinsed, soaked and drained
1 tsp cumin
1 Tbs sea salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp sea salt
2 lbs onions, sliced thinly
vegetable oil for frying
- Combine lentils, chopped onions, 1/2 cup olive oil and 5 cups water in large pot. Cover and bring to a boil, then reduce to simmer until lentils are very soft, about 30 minutes. As lentils cook, skim foam from the surface.
- Remove from heat and cool. Puree lentils until smooth, then return to the pot and set aside. If lentils are too thick, add up to 1 cup of water to obtain the thickness of a creamy soup.
- Cook rice in 2 cups of water, uncovered, until tender, about 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle 1/4 tsp salt over onion slices and mix well. Heat oil over medium hig and saute onions, stirring, until onions are golden, about 5 minutes. Reduce heat to medium, stir occasionally, and cook until onions are dark brown, about 20 minutes. Transfer to paper towels to dry.
- Drain rice, then add lentils. Add cumin,1 Tbs salt, and pepper. Add 1/2 cup olive oil, and warm over medium heat uncovered until lentils begin to boil. Reduce to simmer and cook 5 to 8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add salt to taste.
- Serve at room temperature with fried onions on top, and thick Greek yogurt on the side.