Fig and Walnut Loaf
4 oz (one stick) unsalted butter, room temp
1 1/2 cups unbleached A.P. flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp allspice
7 oz dried Mission figs, stems removed and diced
1 cup packed light-brown sugar
2 eggs at room temp
1/2 cup sour cream
2 oz walnuts, chopped
- Heat oven to 300° convection (325° conventional). Butter pyrex loaf pan.
- Combine dry (flour through salt) and set aside.
- Heat 1/2 cup water in the microwave until starts to simmer. Add a third of the figs to the water and leave to soften, about 10 minutes. Puree in food processor until smooth and thick.
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time and mix well each time. Scrape down a few times. Add dry ingredients and mix on low until just combined. Add sour cream and pureed fig and mix on low until just combined. Add chopped figs and walnuts.
- Fill prepared pan and bang on your counter a few times to level. Bake until cooked through to center and top is springy, about 1 hour.
- Store at room temperature. Keeps several days.
- Serve plain, or with honeyed cream cheese.