White Cheddar Shortbread Biscuits
recipe from Epicurious
makes 28 biscuits
1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temp
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
pinch of cayenne pepper
8 oz extra-sharp white Cheddar, finely shredded
(we used a microplane)
1 cup unbleached A.P. flour
- Combine butter with salt and both peppers in mixer on low until combined. Don't over-mix.
- Add flour and cheese and mix on medium-low until well combined and a ball forms. Again, don't over-mix.
- Wrap ball of dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes. If you want to use the slice and bake method (so you don't have to roll out your dough), shape dough into a log before refrigerating.
- Heat oven to 325° convection (350° conventional). Line two sheet pans with silpats or parchment paper.
- Roll out dough to 1/4" thick on a lightly floured surface, or slice rounds from log that are 1/4" thick. If rolling out dough (which is what we did), use 2" round cutter and place each biscuit on sheet pan as you cut them out. Biscuits hold shape well when baked, so you can use any cookie cutter you like here. You can re-roll dough scraps.
- Bake until puffed up, golden on top, and browning on edges, about 18 minutes in our convection oven. Store at room temp in a ziploc or airtight container.