Tuscan Barley and Chickpea Soup
1 1/2 cups canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
3/4 cup hulled barley
1/2 tsp sea salt
2 bay leaves
3 Tbs olive oil
1/2 cup onion, chopped
1 Tbs celery, minced
1 qt vegetable stock
1/2 tsp dried marjoram
2 pinches dry nutmeg
Italian parsley, chopped
optional: feta, flatbread
- Place chickpeas in saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil, add salt and bay leaves. Reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook until very soft (about 1 1/2 hours).***
- Gently saute onions and celery in olive oil until soft. Add stock, barley, marjoram and nutmeg. Simmer, partially covered, for about 1 hour.
- Drain chickpeas but RESERVE THE COOKING LIQUID. Discard bay leaves. Puree chickpeas with 1 cup of reserved liquid. If too thick, add more of the reserved liquid to get a thick paste.
- Add pureed chickpeas to the barley and stock. Soup should have a thick, creamy texture. Add more of the reserved chickpea cooking liquid if the soup is too thick. Season with salt and pepper, and let soup simmer on very low for about 10 minutes to allow flavors to meld. Serve with chopped parsley on top, and a drizzle of olive oil.
- We added a dollop of feta to each bowl, and served with thick flatbread.
Cheers, The Foodbuzz Editorial Team