Blackberry Shortbread Bars
3 cups unbleached A.P. flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups butter, cubed and chilled
2 cups sugar
1 cup sour cream
3/4 cup unbleached A.P. flour
1/8 tsp salt
zest of 1 small lemon
6 cups blackberries
- Preheat oven to 325° convection (350° conventional) and place rack in the middle of the oven.
- Generously butter a 9 x 13" baking pan. We used a Dansk enamel pan this time, but we have also used pyrex with good results.
- In food processor, combine dry crust ingredients well. Add butter and process until mixture is crumbly and butter is well-distributed.
- Reserve about 2 cups of mixture, then spread the rest in the bottom of the baking pan. Press well to create an even layer, then bake until golden brown, 20 minutes in our oven. Remove and cool 15 minutes.
- Combine all filling ingredients except the blackberries, and mix well. Add blackberries.
- Spread filling evenly over pre-baked crust. Sprinkle reserved crust mixture on top of filling.
- Bake until bars have puffed up and feel firm through to the center, and top is golden brown, around 1 hour in our oven.
- Remove to cooling rack and cool well before cutting into bars.