Sweet Potato Corn Muffins
aka How to Trick Your Kids Into Eating Sweet Potato Muffins
makes 12 muffins
based on recipe in Damon Lee Fowler's New Southern Baking
1 3/4 cup white corn meal
1/4 cup unbleached A.P. flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/3 cup sugar
2 Tbs unsalted butter
1 cup hot cooked sweet potato
1 cup milk
muffin tin and papers
- Preheat oven to 400° convection (425° conventional), place shelf in middle of oven.
- Line muffin pan with papers or butter well. Recipe makes 12 muffins.
- Pierce sweet potato several times and then cook in microwave until soft, about 12 minutes depending on how big your potato is. Remove skin and mash well with a fork, removing as many lumps as possible. Add butter immediately and mash again so butter melts into the potato.
- Combine dry in a large bowl.
- Combine egg and milk; mix well with a fork or whisk.
- Combine mashed sweet potato with milk and mix well. Add dry. Batter will be very thick
- Fill muffin pan and cook until baked through and browned on top, 19 minutes in our convection oven.
- Serve warm plain, with orange marmalade or whipped honey butter. For savory, serve with soup.