Butternut Squash, Lentil and Goat Cheese Salad
serves 2 as an entree
3/4 cup French green lentils
2 lb butternut squash,
peeled and cut into 1" cubes
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp Spanish hot smoked paprika
1/2 tsp sea salt
3-4 cups arugula
1 cup soft goat cheese, crumbled
1/4 cup fresh mint, diced
1 Tbs red wine vinegar
- Cover lentils with cold water and soak 10 minutes. Drain.
- Cook lentils in boiling salted water until tender but still firm, about 30 minutes. Drain, rinse with cold water to stop the cooking process, then drain again and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Toss butternut squash cubes in 2 Tbs olive oil. Add cumin, paprika and sea salt. Spread on a sheet pan and roast until tender, about 30 minutes, tossing after the first 15 minutes to evenly roast. Remove from oven and cool, reserving juices on the sheet pan..
- Combine lentils, butternut squash, oils and juices on the sheet pan with the arugula. Add half the goat cheese, plus mint, vinegar and 1 Tbs olive oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve with remaining goat cheese on top.