Granny Smith Apple Fritters
makes about 12 fritters
1 cup unbleached A.P. flour
1/4 cup sugar
3/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1/3 cup whole milk
1 Granny Smith apple, peeled, with 1/2 finely diced and the other 1/2 shredded
vegetable oil for frying
powdered sugar and milk for glaze
- Heat vegetable oil to 375° (use a candy thermometer).
- While oil is heating, combine flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, cinnamon.
- Add milk and egg until just combined.
- Add diced and shredded apple.
- Drop a heaping tablespoon of dough into oil. Fry until well browned, using slotted spoon to make sure doughnut is fried on both sides.
- Remove to paper towels to dry.
- Combine about 1 T milk with enough powdered sugar to make a thick glaze (about 1 cup). Drizzle over apple fritters. Flip doughnuts over and glaze other side.
- Eat while still warm.