Granny Smith Apple Risotto
adapted from Mario Batali's Simple Italian Food
4 -5 cups vegetable stock, warmed up
4 Tbs butter
2 Tbs olive oil
1 red onion, diced
2 Granny Smith apples, peeled and thinly sliced
2 cups arborio rice
1 cup dry white wine
3/4 cup parmesan, grated
1/4 cup Italian parsley, chopped
sea salt and black pepper to taste
- Saute onion in 2 Tbs butter and 2 Tbs olive oil over medium heat until just soft.
- Add apples and rice and simmer 4 minutes.
- Add wine and simmer until wine evaporates.
- Add enough warm stock to cover the rice and simmer until the liquid goes below the top of the rice. Keep adding stock and cooking until most of the stock has been absorbed, about 18 minutes. Stir frequently to prevent sticking. Rice should be tender but not mushy.
- Add 2 Tbs butter, 1/2 cup cheese and parsley and combine well. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve topped with parmesan cheese and fresh apple slices.