French Breakfast Radish and Mache Salad and Sandwiches
adapted from Vegetable Harvest by Patricia Wells
1/2 Tbs fresh lemon juice
1/8 tsp sea salt
1/4 cup 1/2 and 1/2 or light cream
1 oz finely minced green bunching onions or chives
3 cups mache (photo above) or butter lettuce
8 french breakfast radishes, washed,
thinly sliced, and leaves reserved
2 Tbs unsalted butter at room temp
zest of 1 lemon
4 slices pumpernickel bread
coarse sea salt
- Make dressing: Combine lemon juice and salt well. Add half and half and onions and blend well. Season to taste.
- Tear mache into bite-sized pieces.
- Slice radishes into thin rounds. Set aside one quarter of the radishes, then cut remaining radishes rounds into thin strips. Finely chop the radish leaves. Place radishes and leaves on paper towels to absorb excess moisture.
- Combine butter and lemon zest. Add radish strips and chopped radish leaves and mash everything together. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Spread mixture on toasted rye bread slices. Add radish rounds on top, sprinkle with a bit of sea salt.
- For the salad, combine remaining radish rounds with mache leaves. Add dressing to lightly coat the greens. Season with sea salt and serve.