6 cups strawberries, wished and sliced
1/2 cup sugar
3 Tbs flour
1/2 tsp orange zest
1 1/2 cup unbleached A.P. flour
1/4 tsp salt
1 Tbs baking powder
2 Tbs sugar, plus more for top
4 Tbs butter, cubed and cold
1 cup heavy cream
8" pyrex baking dish or similar
- Preheat oven to 325° convection (375° conventional).
- Combine filling ingredients and place in pyrex baking dish.
- Make topping. First, combine all dry ingredients. Then cut in the butter to resemble coarse meal. We use our fingers for this by rubbing the butter/flour mixture between my thumb and forefinger until the butter pieces are the size of a pea (some can be bigger than that). You don't want the texture to be too smooth or the topping will lose its buttery richness. You can also use a pastry cutter, food processor or forks to do this, but why create one more dirty thing to wash?
- Add cream and mix until uniformly moist. Spoon out on top of filling. It should be plopped on in clumps. You don't want a perfectly smooth topping. Sprinkle with granulated sugar for some sparkle.
- Bake until biscuit is golden brown and filling is cooking and bubbling.
- Let cool enough for the juices to thicken, then served warm alone or with whipped cream or creme fraiche.
If you like this, check out our:
Blackberry Cobbler and Rhubarb Strawberry Cobbler recipes which use the same biscuit topping
You might also like our Mixed Berry Grunt which is a stove-top version of a cobbler