Flatbread with Kale, Swiss Chard, Currants, Pine Nuts, Brown Butter and Ricotta Salata
8 Tbs unsalted butter
3 Tbs brown butter
1 Tbs dry currants
2 cups kale, washed, stems removed and cut into thick strips
2 cups Swiss chard, washed, stems removed and cut into thick strips,
1/8 cup of stems reserved
2 cups collard greens (or spinach or asian greens), washed,
stems removed and cut into thick strips
1 Tbs olive oil
1/2 garlic clove, minced
sea salt and black pepper
1 Tbs pine nuts, toasted
1 flatbread dough, at room temp for 5 minutes before rolling out
1/2 cup ricotta salata, crumbled
flour for rolling out dough and corn meal for peel
- Melt butter in small saucepan over low heat.
- First, butter will separate, with the milk solids settling to the bottom of the pan.
- After 8 to 10 minutes, butter will turn dark amber color. Remove from heat, and line a strainer with a paper towel.
- Pour butter through paper towel into a measuring cup to remove the solids.
- Use immediately, or store in refrigerator.
- Turn oven to 450° and place shelf in top third of oven. Place pizza stone on shelf and heat, ideally for one hour before baking flatbread.
- Soak the currants in 1/4 cup hot water to plump them.
- Cut reserved 1/8 cup of Swiss chard stems on a diagonal into very thin slices.
- Heat olive oil in large pan over medium. Add chard stems, garlic, 1/4 cup water (or vegetable broth), and pinches of sea salt and black pepper. Saute about 1 minute, then add kale. After 1 minute, add remaining chard and collards, plus 1/4 tsp sea salt and a few pinches of pepper.
- Raise temperature to medium-high and saute until greens are just tender, about 3 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium low and add brown butter, currants and pine nuts. Cook briefly, then season with salt and pepper.
- Roll out flatbread on well-floured surface. Sprinkle cornmeal liberally on peel to prevent sticking.
- Spread thin layer of olive oil on flatbread, then spread out half the cheese.
- Add greens mixture, then top with remaining cheese.
- Sprinkle with sea salt and pepper.
- Bake until bread is golden brown and puffed, about 5 minutes. Serve immediately.
Other flatbread recipes from Vegetable Matter:
Flatbread with Swiss Chard Puree, Tomme de Savoie and Fake Bacon
Flatbread with Crispy Lacinato Kale and Tarentaise Cheese
Flatbread with Sauteed Brussels Sprouts, Walnuts and Shaved Parmesan
Flatbread with Roasted Golden Beets, Goat Cheese and Chestnut Honey
Flatbread with Gorgonzola Dulce, Grapes and Walnuts
Flatbread with Broccoli Rabe and Manchego
Flatbread with French Sorrel, Roasted Cauliflower and Goat Cheese